August 12, 2011

I'm Just Sayin'... Knit Picks

Before anything, I'd like to announce that there is a Spanish version of this blog now available here!  This should help make things more organized. This link is also available in the "Links" section.

And now, welcome to the second "I'm Just Sayin'...." Although Summer is sadly drawing its last threads, a great thing to do during this time of year is to pick up a hobby. One of my favorite artsy hobbies is to knit. 

Knitting is no longer an old lady thing, now it is a great way to show off your skills and fashion sense. Not only does it help relieve boredom, it's a great way to save money on pieces like scarves, hats, gloves, headbands. Also saves money on Christmas gifts *wink, wink*

My most recent Summer knit has been a cotton headband which I've worn on several occasions. I even use it to keep my hair out of the way when I wash my face. For this headband I went with a bright green color for its attention-grabbing brightness. The money I spent on the cotton yarn was minimal. 120 yards (which will allow for a couple headbands) cost me a little over a buck.



What you will need for headband: 
-Size US 8 needles
-Lily Sugar'n Cream Cotton yarn
-Scissors
-Threading needle
-(8 to 10 cast on stitches)
-(16" in length)
-Here is the pattern for a similar headband. 
Use the first pattern (garter stitch) if you're a beginner.

Learning to knit can take time (a few hours) but it's well worth it. I messed up and redid the first scarf I made at least ten times before I was satisfied with it. Because this is a much smaller project, it should go by a lot faster even if it's your first time. How does one learn to knit? Forget the books and check out the tube! Here are some links to YouTube videos that I used to learn:

(The most helpful for me)

(It's also helpful to see different ways of doing the same thing)


Check out other videos on your own to see if they help you with that a-ha! moment in learning knitting. If knitting doesn't seem to be your thing, try crocheting. Good luck and enjoy! You'll be SO proud of your first knit piece! 

I mean, I'm just sayin'....

2 comments:

Marissa said...

I just finished knitting one of these headbands. Thanks for the link to the pattern. :) I'm still a beginner, so it was nice to find a fun but easy pattern.

Rachel said...

Yay! I'm so glad the pattern came in handy for you!! Knitting will probably get addicting... :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...