September 22, 2011

I'm Just Sayin'... Preventing Wrinkles

Did you know we start aging at age 20? See there's this thing called collagen that everyone has, it makes our skin all nice and plump. Your body reproduces less and less of it as you age and 20 seems to be the marker number. Would have been nice for me to know this about a year or two ago. 


"Omigosh, so what now?!" Well, don't panic, that will just give you more wrinkles. Aside from using whatever anti-aging cream you will put your hopes on, you'll want to do two things: take vitamin C and apply facial sunscreen daily. I've recently started taking vitamin C daily and though I'm lazy with my facial sunscreen, I do try to use it as often as possible. The sunscreen part is a big one. Even when the sun is hidden by the clouds the rays can penetrate and harm your skin!


You don't need to take vitamin supplements for your daily dose of vitamin C. Fruits like oranges, papayas, kiwi, strawberry, cantaloupe, etc. are great sources. These are tropical fruits that are may be known for being sour (kiwi) and acidic (oranges). Thankfully these are some of my favorites! 

Vitamin C helps your body develop more collagen and helps with so much within the body including the health of your teeth. While it's pretty difficult to overdose on vitamin C, please look things up before taking a bunch of supplements a day. Having a healthy diet should get you where you need to be, especially if you include some fruits. What's this? Florida is famous for these age-defying fruits? Florida is also famous for the age-inducing sun!


I use Neutrogena sunblock (like SPF 100+ or something) because facial sunblocks are a bit tricky, but details on that will have to be left for a "Review It" post. While it's important to get at least 10 minutes of sunshine a day (for Vitamin D), the sun can be harmful to the skin if it is exposed for too long. I realize fall just started today (yay fall!), but fighting the harmful effects of the sun is a year-round thing.

And don't even get me started on tanning salons. I mean, I'm just sayin'....



5 comments:

Marissa said...

I'm so glad you shared this! Only now I'm paranoid because I've been losing collagen for the past two years. Eeeeeek! However I checked my vitamins that my hubby bought for me and they have 100% daily value of vitamin C. Now I'll be sure to take them every day. Yes, I know I probably should have taken them daily anyways, but now that if there is a chance that it could prevent wrinkles, im all for it. Also, please review your facial sunscreen! I would like to know more about it before I pick some out. :)

Rachel said...

Expect a review on the 30 :)
And lookit you sayin' "my hubby"!

Marissa said...

Haha yep, I'm a married old woman now! And I can't wait for the review. :)

Manasamira said...

I finally got some sunscreen after reading this post. Thanks Rachel!

Rachel said...

WOW! Glad you did!! Don't want to let your beautiful skin go to waste :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...