January 10, 2012

I'm Just Sayin'... Caring for "Ashy" Skin

There's something about the winter season that makes skin ashy. Ashy, you know, dry and flaky with dust that can be endlessly scratched off. Applying lotion helps sometimes, but is usually temporary.

There is a much longer-lasting and true solution. What I like to call the "froggies" (see reference picture below) between my fingers act as a warning of things to come when they get ashy. If I don't take care of the problem with my Super-Mom's Super Solution, the rest of my hand gets ashy. What is this amazing ashyness-relieving solution?


Socks! That's right. There's nothing in the market greater for ashy hands than socks. No fancy lotions will help you here, all you need are good, old-fashioned socks and petroleum jelly (a.k.a. Vaseline).

I'm sure many are aware that petroleum jelly works better than lotion in keeping the skin smooth, but it's also extremely bothersome to have on during the day as it will not absorb completely into the skin for a long time. This is where socks come in. 

Lather your hands with a generous amount of petroleum jelly right before bed, cover them with clean socks, and sleep. When you wake up your hands will no longer be ashy and will be smooth instead. Repeat this regimen for a few days for extra assurance or on especially chilly nights.

The socks help to retain the moisture and warmth of the skin without which the skin turns ashy. They also keep you from getting petroleum jelly on your face, hair, clothes. It's surprising how many things can still be done while wearing socks on your hands. Heck, read a book.


Now you know, petroleum jelly + socks = beautiful hands in the winter. I mean, I'm just sayin'....

4 comments:

Sabrina said...

My hands get dry easily, but I've never thought about using socks AND petroleum jelly! What a great idea, I love it! I'm definitely going to be trying it out ASAP. x

Marissa @ Glass Slippers and Combat Boots said...

Thanks so much for the tip! My hands get severely dry on cold dry days. They get so bad that I wont even write about it here for fear of scaring someone. So I will definitely be trying this out soon. :) I never thought about wearing socks on my hands. I had slathering on thick lotion and creams and then getting it everywhere else.

Rachel said...

Glad you like the idea ladies! When hands are especially dry, it's really better to do it for about a week straight. White cotton socks work best too ;)

Notes She Wrote said...

wow! this is good to know. I totally have ashy hands this winter! It just might be a little hard taking care of my son with socks on my hands. It's probably worth a try though :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...